The Perfect Christmas Drink
21 Dec 2016
It’s the most wonderful time of the year don’t you think? I love Christmas, especially the traditions around food and drink. I fondly remember Christmas in 2012 when I accompanied Brian (our head roaster) to visit his mum in Richmond Virginia, USA. Brian’s mum wasted no time to dote upon him and I was lucky enough to be along for the ride. As it was Christmas we had the full festive treatment, three meats, plenty of condiments, side dishes, and too many goodies to mention. It was so tasty and one of the most memorable meals of my life so far. After we ate far too much we were treated to more southern style hospitality with a glorious beverage. It was a hot buttered rum, her favourite and cherished Christmas drink. This warm spiced drink is now a much-loved staple in the Majdandzic household, thanks to Brian’s mum, Melissa. This year at the Majdandzic Family Christmas I’m going to put my stamp and twist on Melissa’s traditional Hot Buttered Rum. I'm going to add in a delightful filter coffee. Imagine rum, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, a touch of butter and honey all combined together with freshly brewed filter coffee. Now that's a Christmas tradition I’m going to keep forever. I think I'm going to call it Tron’s Buttered Rum.
- 15ml Rum (I prefer Ron Zacapa 23, however most dark spiced rums will be suitable)
- 2g honey (or 1/3 tsp)
- 1 tsp raw or brown sugar
- A sprinkling of ground cinnamon
- A sprinkling of ground nutmeg
- A small sprinkling of chinese 5 spice
- 1/2 tsp butter (unsalted preferred)
- 200ml of Brewed Filter Coffee at a ratio of 20g of ground coffee to 200ml water (if you don't know how to brew filter, please see our guides here).
How to make it
- Brew 200mls of filtered coffee
- Place all the ingredients into a cup, glass, or mug and gently stir
- Pour the coffee in, stir well and enjoy.
Be careful with the spice, the tiniest amount is delightful, but too much is overpowering. The cinnamon is the most impactful for evoking christmas memories followed by the nutmeg. This drink embodies all the goodness of Christmas and is beautifully soothing and calming. It’s just perfect for Christmas Eve. Hope you enjoy it. Merry Christmas to you all. Domtron